Trophy sized kashmir markhor electrocutes in Toshi Shaha game
CHITRAL.: A trophy sized kashmir markhor was electrocuted in
Kilishpi pasture of Toshi Shaha game reserve here in early hours of
Wednesday when its horns hit the abysmally low lying live
transmission line of hydro-power station run by the local
Divisional forest officer, wild life division Chitral, Imtiaz
Hussain told Chitral Timesthat the hump above the tail and the
right ear of the animal were found to have been burnt by the
electric current passing through the high tension wires.
He said that the length of the 10-year animal was measured to be 43
inches and it was one of the animals marked for trophy hunting in
the conservancy last year of which a 42-inches markhor was hunted
by an American hunter paying 10.05 million rupees as hunting
Mr. Hussain said that the markhors markhors migrate to the high
altitudes with the advent of summer season and increase in the
intensity of heat in its habitat in low areas and the deceased
animal was also migrating to the higher places.
He said that the transmission lines of the community run power
station are potential danger to the animals which are hardly few
feet high above the ground and they transversally pass through the
route which the markhor adopt in the course of migration to the
“There are fifteen more markhors of trophy size with lengths
measureing more than 36 inches in the area of Killishpi pasture and
more may face the same fate but the local community is not bothered
to heighten the line which had also caused the death of a minor
girl of the village last year”.
“The death of the animal is tantamount to the loss of 10 million
rupees both to the local community and the government as its
hunting permit has exceeded the amount last year out of which 80
percent goes to the local community for their collective
development through the village conservation committees”, he added.
The carcass of the dead markhor was brought to the divisional
office of wildlife where post mortem of the body was carried out by
veterinary doctor Dr. Shiekh Ahmed of livestock department who
verified the death of the animal by electrocution.
The stuffed hide of the animal along with its horns and head will
be sent to Peshawar head office for its preservation and showcasing
in the museum, Mr. Imtiaz said.