KP Govt trying to divert Booni-Torkhow
CHITRAL: The development grant of Rs100 million, released by
federal government under Public Sector Development Programme (PSDP)
for a road project in upper Chitral, has been withheld by
provincial finance department for the last 40 days, according to
They said that attempts were being made to divert the grant to a
project in another district.
MPA Syed Sardar Hussain Shah told this scribe that provincial
government already made an attempt to declare it a supplementary
grant from the federal government and utilise it for projects of
He said that the Finance Division had released the grant for first
and second quarters (July to December 2016) on January 3, 2017 for
transferring the amount to the account of communication and works
department which executed the road project. The project is named as
“widening and carpeting of Booni-Buzund Torkhow Road”.
Mr Shah said that provincial government had no authority to keep it
pending and the grant should be onward released to C&W department
within 24 hours of its arrival from the government.
He alleged that the secretary finance was delaying the transfer of
the grant to the relevant quarters that cause delay in execution of
the project. The completion date of the project, started in June
2009 under PSDP, was June 2018.
The MPA said that there was no precedent of transforming PSDP grant
into supplementary grant and utilise it for other projects.
“The role of the provincial government is just like that of a post
office, which should deliver the amount of the grant as and when it
receives it from the federal government,” he said.
An official, who wished not to be named, said that as per rules,
the releases made under PSDP were the prerogatives of the federal
government and there was no instance of any supplementary grant,
which was over and above the allocated budget.
He said that releases under PSDP were made by the federal
government in consultation with the Planning Commission and it was
beyond the domain of the provincial government. In the mid-year
review meeting of PSDP, no such request for supplementary grant had
been received from the provincial government, he added.
Dstrict nazim Maghfirat Shah said that it would be a blatant act of
provincial government if the grant was delayed on one pretext or
the other as the project started in 2009 was already facing
He said that district government would resist the move to divert
the fund to other district. The construction of 35 kilometres long
road was started in June 2009 under PSDP but it remained incomplete
after the allocated amount of Rs350 million was exhausted. The
project remained closed till last year when federal government
revived it with allocation of Rs1,108 million.